top of page
  • What does HOTT stand for?
    The full name of our organization is Houses Opening Today Toronto Inc.
  • How many properties does HOTT have?
    We currently have 13 properties.
  • Where are HOTT’s properties?
    All our properties are in the City of Toronto. We have 9 properties south of the Danforth between the Don Valley and just west of Victoria Park We have one property at Eglinton West and Oakwood. We have 2 properties in the downtown core.
  • What sizes of units does HOTT have?
    We currently have a variety of units, including rooms in congregate living for individuals, as well as one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and three-bedroom apartments.
  • Is HOTT a charity?
    Yes, HOTT is a charity. Our Charitable Registration Number is 12802 7703 RR0001.
  • Does HOTT get any government funding?
    Yes, HOTT receives a subsidy from the City of Toronto for the property management of our RGI properties and rent supplement buildings. The subsidies make up the difference between what the tenants pay and what it costs to operate the housing. HOTT also receives funding from the City of Toronto to support our tenants in ten of our buildings.
  • Can I volunteer with HOTT?
    Yes, there are two types of volunteers. Governance volunteers sit on standing committees, on project specific committees and on the Board of Directors. Operations Volunteers assist staff in the day-to-day operations of HOTT. HOTT has an application and selection process for both kinds of volunteers.
  • How do I apply?
    Please call the office at 416-369-0366 and speak to a staff person. You may also drop by the office at 75 Blantyre Avenue, Toronto between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. from Monday to Friday.
  • Is there a waiting list?
    No, we do not keep a formal waiting list.
  • Are there any other organizations similar to HOTT?
    Yes, there are many organizations in Toronto similar to HOTT. You can find out about them by going on
  • What is Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI)?
    Rent-geared-to-income (RGI) housing is rental housing in which the rent paid is based on a household’s gross income. If the household’s income consists of social assistance, rent is charged at a set amount based on a government rent scale. The remaining part of the market rent for a unit is subsidized.
  • Can I pay my rent in cash?
    Yes, you may pay your rent in cash if you wish to do so. Most tenants pay by cheque, e-transfer, direct deposit, or money order.
  • How long have we been operating?
    We were incorporated in 1987 and started operating our housing in 1988.
  • What are the requirements to qualify for RGI housing with HOTT?
    Applicants for RGI housing with HOTT have to be over 16 years old, have legal status in Canada, and not owe money to any other social housing providers, or if they do they have to have an active payment plan with their previous landlords.
  • Will I get evicted if I start earning lots of money?
    No, you will not get evicted from an RGI unit if you earn lots of money in the future. Your rent will rise as your income rises. The rent you pay will only go as high as the identified market rent for the unit.
  • Do I have to pay my own utilities?
    We currently have two properties where tenants pay their own hydro. In the remaining properties we currently own, utilities are included in the rent and utilities charges.
bottom of page